The Gables 14 Division Street, Brighton, Ontario

The History of the House

We are especially pleased to have been able to establish our restaurant in one of Brighton’s most historically interesting buildings.

The Lockwood Family built the house in 1872.  The patriarch of the family, Reverend Joseph Lockwood, was Brighton’s first postmaster.  In addition, along with his son Thomas, he is responsible for the selection in 1831 of the town’s name, which was chosen in honour of Brighton, England.

The house was sold to William Wallace Porte better known as “Diamond Willie”.  A well-known character about town, he owned and operated Diamond Willies’ Jewelry Store located on Main Street.  He also began the town’s first telephone system, eventually operating it out of this house in what is now the ladies’ washroom.

In 1942 the Graham family, who operated Graham Hardware, purchased the house for the modest sum of $1.850.  We have found a yardstick promoting the Hardware store and have displayed it in our lobby.

In 1970 the house was purchased by a Miss Olive Bently, from Toronto, who felt “as if she was Marie Antoinette, living in such a grand home.” In 1997 the house was renovated extensively.  Also, the current owner, Kirsten and Dieter added the public areas and a superb new kitchen.

It is our pleasure to serve you in this most beautiful and historic setting.